Student Life

Housing & Dining


On-campus Accommodation

The Zijing International Student Apartments of Tsinghua University provide  three types of dormitory rooms to the international students: single room  (private bedroom and bathroom), RMB 80/day; AB room (private bedroom, shared  bathroom), RMB 80/day/person; double room (two beds in one room, shared  bathroom on each floor), RMB 40/day/person. Included in each room are  bedclothes, air-conditioner , Internet access and  furniture.

The apartments have a capacity of accommodating around 2000 international  students, i.e, about 60% of the total studying at Tsinghua. For more details of  the apartments, please visit Zijing International Student Apartments. 

The  General  Service Desk of Zijing International Student Apartments is in  Zijing Apartment Building No. 19. It serves from 7:00 am to 23:00 pm. The  service phone number: +86-10-5153 5500/+86-10-5153 5501; Email:

Because the number of on-campus apartment rooms is limited and can not  meet the demands of all students to live on campus, the new students who have  received the Admission Notice of Tsinghua University need to book the rooms in  advance, following the date, time and procedure specified  in the Instructions of International Students Dormitory Application System of  Tsinghua University which is sent out by ISO to you together with the admission  materials package. The website of the booking system is

Before online booking, please prepare a bank card (Visa, MasterCard, or  China UnionPay) that is enabled to support online payment for     one semester's accommodation of a successful  booking.

When you check in at the  General  Service Desk, please show your Admission Notice and passport. You may  need to pay RMB 200 as deposit. Bank  card, cash,   and mobile payment    are all accepted at the reception.     The General Service Desk also provides Temporary  Residence registration business. Please keep it along with your passport. It is  required for your application of new visa, visa extension, additional entry or  residence permit.

According to the law and the relevant policy, the  Zijing International Student Apartments are only able to host foreign students  who are registered in Tsinghua University. Neither the relatives or friends of  students nor other persons are allowed to live in the apartments. Students  living in the Apartments should comply with the administrative regulations. For  instance,       lighting  fire, including using candles is  strictly prohibited in the rooms;  students are not allowed to host other people overnight in the rooms.

Off-campus Accommodation

If you do not successfully book a room in the on-campus apartments, you need  to arrange off-campus accommodation also in advance. We are sorry that  currently the University is not able to officially recommend off-campus housing  information and housing agencies for your off-campus accommodation.

According to the experiences of our international students, many of them  prefer to live in the apartments near the campus, such as Huaqing Jiayuan and  Dongsheng Yuan, etc.  Some students  choose to live far from the campus, because the rents might be much lower. The  following links recommended by Tsinghua international students may help you  search online for appropriate off-campus apartments:






You may need to ask some help from your Chinese Buddy or friends in  Beijing. Please be careful when signing the contract or lease, since there may  be hidden clauses.

When you live off campus, never forget to get a Registration Form of  Temporary Residence issued by the local police station of your accommodation.  Within 24 hours after you move in, please bring your passport and go to the  local police station together with your landloard (or other authorized agency).

The Registration Form of Temporary Residence is another important  certificate for your legal stay in China, aside from your passport and visa.  Please keep it along with your passport. It is required for your application of  new visa, visa extension, additional entry or residence permit.

Therefore, a special reminder is that before you sign for the contract or  pay for the rental, do confirm that the owner of the apartment/house property  is able to process the accommodation registration for you. Otherwise you will  get into trouble of illegal stay. Moreover, you need to renew your Registration  Form of Temporary Residence if you have moved to another place, changed your passport  or renewed your visa.


Tsinghua student dining halls are famous for their  good service and reasonable price among the universities in Beijing. There are  more than 10 student dining halls on campus, providing a variety of dishes  including Muslim and Western food. Close to the Zijing International Student  Apartments are the Zhilanyuan, Zijingyuan, Taoliyuan, and Yushuyuan dining  halls. In addition, there are several fast food restaurants and Cafe on campus,  where you may meet many international students.          

Dining    Halls & Café Open Hours
Guanchouyuan Dining Hall
Taoliyuan Dining Hall                      桃李园 6:30—9:00
Zijingyuan Dining Hall
1st floor:
2nd,3rd and 4th floor:
Qingfenyuan Dining Hall
Tingtaoyuan DiningHall
Dingxiangyuan Dining Hall
Yushuyuan Dining Hall
Zhilanyuan Dining Hall
(Buffet served on the 2nd floor)
芝兰园 (二楼供应自助餐)
Qingqing Kuaican
(Similar to McDonalds and KFC but at lower prices)
(On the 2nd floor of Wenxinyuan Dining Hall)
清青快餐 (闻馨园二层)
Qingqing Pizza
(On the basement of Zhijingyuan Dining Hall)
清青比萨 (紫荆园地下一层)
Qingqing Yonghe
(On the 1st floor of Guanchouyuan Dining Hall)
清青永和 (观畴园一层)
Muslim Canteen
 (West of Guanchouyuan Dining Hall)
清真餐厅 (观畴园西侧)
Qingqing Xiuxian Canteen
(On the basement of Taoliyuan Dining Hall)
清青休闲餐厅 (桃李园地下一层)
Qingqing Mianba
Happy Four Bakery
(The basement of the Humanities and Social    Sciences Library)
快乐事烘培坊 (人文社科图书馆地下一层)
Campus Jazz Coffee
(On the first floor of Guanchouyuan Dining Hall)
SPR Coffee
(on the 1st floor of Shunde Building, SEM)
Qingqing Times Cafe;
(Near the Guanchouyuan    Dining Hall)
清青时代咖啡厅 (观畴园附近)
Paradiso Coffee
(1st floor of Zijing Apartment No.21;
1st floor of Weilun Building, SEM)  


How to get a dining card

The degree-program students, including the undergraduate students and  graduate students, shall apply for a student IC card which can be used as the  dining card.

The non-degree-program students, including the visiting students, exchange  students and the Chinese language program students, shall apply for an ordinary  dining card at the Student Dining Service Center located in student dormitory  building No.15, with admission notice, student ID card (the paper card) or a  certificate issued by International Students Office (ISO).

How to recharge your dining  card

As to the degree-program students, including the undergraduate students and  graduate students, there is no money in their student IC cards when they first  get it. So the students can make use of the recharging machines set up in the  campus to transfer the money from the debt card of the Bank of China that has  been connected to the IC card. The recharging machines are located around  Taoliyuan Dining Hall, Zijingyuan Dining Hall, Guanchouyuan Dining Hall,  teaching building No. 6 as well as the Student Service Center (Zijing Building  C), etc.

As to the non-degree program students, including the visiting students,  exchange students and the Chinese language program students, they can recharge  the ordinary dining card with RMB cash in the following places: Zijingyuan  Dining Hall, Taoliyuan Dining Hall, Guanchouyuan Dining Hall, and the Student  Dining Service Center (located in student dormitory building No. 15). According  to the university’s regulation, the non-degree students using an ordinary  dining card should be subject to 15% management fee. For example, if you  recharge RMB 100 in cash in your dining card, you can only use RMB 85 actually.

If you don't have a dining  card

You can use cash on the 3rd floors of Taoliyuan and Guanchouyuan Dining  Halls, the 2nd floor of Zhilanyuan Dining Hall, Yushuyuan Dining Hall, Qingqing  Kuaican (Hamburger), Qingqing Pizza, Qingqing Yonghe, Qingqing Xiuxian Canteen,  Happy Four Bakery, Qingqing Times Cafe, and SPR Coffee, etc.

Off-campus Restaurants

Outside the east gate (actually the main gate) of the campus there are  McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, Subway, and Yoshinoya, etc., as well as a variety of  Chinese restaurants.

Recreational Facilities

Service facilities inside Tsinghua University make the life of students  very convenient. The on-campus shopping center is located at Zhaolanyuan, where  one can find banks, post office, super-market, bookstores, fruit and vegetable  market, photo studios, restaurants, the barber's, laundries, etc. All kinds of  services are also provided in the living area of students.

Student Service Center

The Student Services Center is located in the  student living area, and is comprised of many supporting facilities, such as a  bank, post office, supermarket, copy shop, bookstore, photography studio,  optical shop and barber shop. In addition, the Front Desk of the Student  Dormitory is located in the Student Service Center, which provides a 24 hour  "one-stop" service. The specific services include lending spare keys  of dormitory, opening doors through the network, helping students to notify  when facilities need repairing, delivering packages, receiving complaints and  consultations about relevant services, etc.

Internet Services

New incoming students, please check in with the International Students  Office or the office of your department with your Admission Letter or Student  ID in order to get your network username and password envelope to log on to the  Tsinghua Campus Network. Students that have not obtained this envelope, please  come to the CIO Offices (Room 212, Main Building) with your Admission Letter or  Student ID to get your account and password information.
                   Internet Services Hotline: +86 10 62784859
               Internet Services:

Sports Facilities

The on-campus sports facilities include the following:
                   The indoor swimming and diving gymnasium, and the West Lake outdoor  swimming pool (Open from June.1st to Sep 1st each year).
                   The comprehensive gymnasium (sports facilities provided: badminton, table  tennis, basketball, and gymnastic apparatus).
                   Western gymnasium (sports facilities provided: badminton, basketball, and  billiards).
                   The plastic tennis court, the eastern gymnasium, and the table tennis  Center.
                 International students may use the above mentioned services with Student ID  cards and pay relevant fees.

Banking Service

The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, China Construction Bank and  Bank of Beijing in Zhaolanyuan shopping center, Bank of China in Zijing Student  Service Center (Building C) provide service for deposit and exchange of foreign  currencies. US dollar, Euro, Pound, Yen can be exchanged to Renminbi. But the  traveler's check is not acceptable there. Large amount of foreign currencies  and traveler's check can be exchanged to Renminbi at a branch of Bank of China  located at Chuangxin Plaza nearby University's East Gate. Banks open from 9:00  to 17:00 every day.

On-campus Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) can be found at places like the  Zijingyuan Dinning Hall, the Taoliyuan Dinning Hall, the Zijing Building No.4,  5 and 6, the post office, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, outside  the Tingtaoyuan (formerly named No.10 Dining Hall), on the first floor of  Guanchouyuan(formerly named Dining Plaza), the Financial Department of the  University, etc.

Mailing Service

The post office located in the Student Service Center located in the west  of the Zijing dormitory and Zhaolanyuan opens from 8:30 to 17:30 everyday,  providing services of mailing, sending and receiving parcels, fax, telegram,  distance calls, etc.

Health Insurance

The health insurance system for the accidental injury and hospitalization  of international students has been implemented in China. The insurance fees for  scholarship-sponsored students are paid by the Ministry of Education of PRC.  Self-financing students staying for no less than half a year can apply for the  insurance at their own expenses upon registration. The students not joining  health insurance are not allowed to register.
 For the international  students sponsored by CSC scholarships free medical care is provided:
                   1. CSC scholarships students shall first see a doctor at Tsinghua  University Hospital with student IC card. Certificates from the University  Hospital are required when the international students in concern need to  transfer to some assigned hospitals due to serious diseases. The out-patients  first pay for the medical expenses at assigned hospitals by themselves and will  be reimbursed at FSAO with the receipt. Those students who get medical care at  another hospital without permission or purchase medicines at their own wish  shall bear the medical expenses by themselves. The insurance company will  indemnify the medical expenses for accidental injury or hospitalization  according to the insurance policy.
                   2. The following medical expenses are not included in the free medical  service: registration fee at the hospital, food served in the hospital,  spectacles, teeth filling, false teeth fitting, teeth extraction, child birth,  abortion, corrective therapies for physical defects, nutritious food,  non-prescription medicine and expenses on treating chronic diseases starting  before the international students came to China. Students, hurt or killed  because of participating in fighting or other violations of university rules or  laws, shall bear their own medical expenses.
                   3. All the receipts for medical care should be submitted for reimbursement  within two months after issuing.
 For self-financing  international students:
               Self-financing students can seek medical care at the University Hospital or  other hospitals at their own expenses. Those who have joined medical insurance  will be reimbursed based upon the insurance policies.

Psychological Counseling

The center for psychological counseling is located in Room 113, No.10  Building (Tel: 62782007).


The University has a comprehensive hospital on campus, providing both  clinic treatment and hospitalization services to the faculty, staff and  students. Student IC card or passport is needed for out-patient registration.  The operating hours of Consultation are: Monday - Friday, 8:00 to 12:00,  13:30-17:00; Saturday, 8:00-12:00.   Emergency consultation serves 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you need to seek more professional treatment, you'd better go to large  hospitals off campus. The nearest one is Peking University Third Hospital.  Besides, China-Japan Friendship Hospital, Bayer & Jackson Beijing Medical  Center, and Beijing United Family Hospital and Clinics are preferably chosen by  many international students because of their western-style medical facilities  with international staff.  

The international students are requested to be covered with a medical  insurance for study in China, so as to pay for the expenses of possible  accidental injury and medical treatments in hospitalization.

For emergency help, please call 120 or 999 for Ambulance, or 6279 9120 for  the University Hospital.

Shows & Performances

Please visit:       

International Student & Scholar Center

The International Students & Scholars Center (ISSC) supports and serves international students and scholars throughout their Tsinghua experience. The center is a hub of information and resources for the international community, including for immigration and visas, residency, university services, campus life and cultural activities. ISSC aims to foster an inspired and dynamic international community to help every international student and scholar thrive at Tsinghua. The ISSC staff are dedicated to ensuring that the international community is supported, nurtured and represented at Tsinghua.

Contact the ISSC:

International Students & Scholars Center, Zijing Apartment Building No.22, Tsinghua University, Haidian District, Beijing, 100084, Peoples Republic of China
Fax: +86-10-62771134

Phone: +86 10 62773076

Phone: +86 10 62789388

(Non-degree Students)
Phone: +86 10 62770992

(International Scholars)

Academic Calendar